Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Cause Marketing King

This past weekend as I went through my normal ritual of "volunteerism" I encountered one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life-face someone that I knew was lying to me, eyeball to eyeball. The first instance came as I was co-hosting the 27th annual Dr. Martin Luther King breakfast at the Town & Country Hotel. I ran into someone I had just interviewed with for a position. He apologized to me for my not being picked for the position and then went on to ask me if I would be interested in working with him in another position that he was going to be campaigning for to seek nomination! All I could do was think to myself, if you didn't hire me the first time for the position I wanted (knowing I was fully qualified than the person you hired), then why would I want to go through the pain of two separate interviews (the first with his staff and the second, if I made it that far with him), all over again!!

The second incident came at the same place but with a different set of people who were on the interview team for another position and they personally knew me and my qualifications but I had received a turndown letter for the position. I later found out that they had politely cancelled the position and promoted from within. The sad part about this incident was that I had a passion for this particular non-profit organization, had volunteered for them before and really wanted to work for them.

As I later went on to several other events (Martin Luther King parade and another breakfast), I kept bumping into these same people and having to look into their faces knowing that they had hurt me personally by not letting me know upfront that they were not going to hire me gave me a distrust toward my fellow man.

Finally I came to my senses, let it go, and gave it all back to God! Now it's on to the next non-profit organization that can utilize my services.

1 comment:

  1. I can understand how you have become dishartened with your fellow man. Give it to God and keep it pushing.

    ReplyDelete